Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Day 18 First ride

Today was a great day.  Boozer got his first ride.  I know what your thinking, you've seen other people that are doing this and they were on their horses within the first week!
Ginger you say, you only have 3 months to get this horse ready, get moving!
Thats okay I say, I could of ridden him sooner but I wanted a GREAT FOUNDATION on him!   Ive worked Boozer every day.  I do not take short cuts.  I would rather lay a SOLID foundation that way he is SOLID for the rest of his life.  I dont want there to be any cracks later on down the road in his training because of something I took a short cut on.  I feel like the competition is to show the ability of the older horses to learn and retain what they have learned.
He is a very laid back horse but very reactive at the same time.  Please do not think that I am saying that the others are not laying solid foundations on their horses.  I am just saying that this is the way I know how to do it.  I have never had any training on how to train horses.  I read books, watched youtube and watched other people.  I took all that I saw and learned and put it into what worked for me.   Not every horse is the same, so obviously you have to change it up a  bit according to their personality.
I have gotten extremely lucky with Boozer and I thank God for giving me this opportunity with such a wonderful animal.  Here are some pictures of what went on today, and one from granbury!

Walking over the Tarp, 1st ride!!


At Granbury Rodeo!


The End of our 1st Ride!  Awesome horse!

1 comment: